Fresh Sod: 7 Easy Steps for Installation!

14 Responses

1. Mark Jansen says:

I am looking for roughly 1000 square feet of sod for my backyard. How soon can I have this delivered to Guelph and also is Kentucky Bluegrass o=able to survive in shady areas?

• Cameron Shimoda says:

Hey Mark! Thank you for your inquiry! As far as pricing and expected delivery dates are concerned, our online ordering portal at https://ordersodnow.com/ will provide you with those details. Just input your postal code and follow the steps! Kentucky Bluegrass will survive in the shade, so long as it gets at least 3 hours of sunlight per day and proper watering. Be careful under trees though, because trees can outcompete freshly laid sod for nutrients making it difficult to establish. The combination of this nutrient competition and steady shade is deadly for sod. So keep in mind the 3 hours per day, and be weary of laying sod under trees! 🙂

2. Joy Butler says:

I appreciate you helping me learn more about installing fresh sod easily. It really helped when you said that we should not water the fresh sod while it is rolled up. As far as I remembered, my dad did that, so I will inform him about this so he would know it next time.

• Cameron Shimoda says:

Anytime Joy! We try to provide plenty of tips and tricks for sod installation. Definitely let your dad know that watering sod while it’s rolled up can be detrimental. 🙂

3. Balk says:

Mowing after only 1 week sounds sketchy to me. Personally I’d wait 2 weeks, just so tou don’t accidentally turn your sod into mulch.

• Cameron Shimoda says:

Hey Balk,

It can sound scary, but simply raise your mower to the top setting, and walk carefully. It’s also heavily dependent on conditions! If you get heavy rains on the day you planned to mow, it’s a good idea to let it dry out a bit before you mow. Mowing early can greatly improve the sod’s ability to establish.

All the best,

Cameron
      -OrderSodNow

4. Garth Smith says:

Hey Cameron,

I have an area in my backyard that is 1/3 in a good sun area bu 2/3 under trees and has a slope. I want to sod the whole area. Is this practical or do I have no chance for the sod to survive under the canopy of trees?

• Cameron Shimoda says:

Hey Garth!

Thanks for your comment! That is a difficult scenario to establish sod in… Most lawn grasses need 4-6 hours per day of direct sunlight to thrive. Is there any way that you can have your trees pruned back prior to trying to install sod? This will help immensely with establishment. If you have some very shady areas, could you build a garden bed there instead to fill in with a shade tolerant plant like hostas? Like I said, establishing sod in the shade is very difficult so try to plan accordingly 🙂

I hope everything works out Garth!

All the best,

Cameron
      -OrderSodNow

5. Kyle Bechtold says:

What is the recommended height the ground should be before sod placement to keep it level if patching your lawn to existing grass?

• Cameron Shimoda says:

Hey Kyle!

Typically there is about an inch of soil on a roll of sod, but this varies slightly depending on harvest conditions. Take at least an inch of topsoil off along with the existing grass you are replacing. You can use that same soil (as long as it is not contaminated) to level out the area if you have any depressions.

All the best,

Cameron
      -OrderSodNow

6. Proper site preparation makes it easier for new grass roots to penetrate. Excellent explanation, it’s simple & focus